Category Archives: Site

My First Comments: Spam

I’ve had comments enabled for this site ever since I moved to Movable Type. Over the past couple of days I got my first comments, but they were spam. Bummer. Comments are now turned off for all entries — if someone wants to reach me, e-mail is the best way.

PDA Web List Popular

It looks like my list of PDA optimized (or PDA friendly) web sites is becoming quite popular and is now the most-requested page from this site. Thanks to some mentions on Palm, Treo, and Sony discussion groups, a lot of people seem to have found it. I’m also the number one hit for “PDA Optimized” on Google which is kind of cool.

For some unknown reason Google is also showing some of my pages with my IP address rather than domain name. I’ll need to figure out where that’s coming from.

Original article about PDA friendly web sites: http://www.cantoni.org/2002/04/11/pda_optimized_web_sites

PDA friendly web site list: http://cantoni.mobi/

Converting from CityDesk to Movable Type

Having recently moved from CityDesk to Movable Type, I captured some notes on the technique I used to move my weblog entries over.

In summary, I created a CityDesk template to dump all articles into a text file, then imported it into Movable Type. The text file needs to be in accordance with the import file format.

Create the CityDesk template using these steps:

  1. Create a new HTML file at the root level, naming it ‘export.txt’ (see below for an example)
  2. Publish (or preview) the CityDesk site
  3. Grab the export.txt file and review it carefully, making sure that all articles are included and that the format looks correct
  4. FTP the file to the correct location on your MT site and import it
  5. All entries should now be added and set to draft mode; use MT power-edit mode to review all and publish them

Some more tips:

  • Case matters on category names; make sure they match or you’ll get duplicates.
  • The template below sets the articles to draft mode rather than publish mode. I used this to double-check everything.
  • When importing into MT, I chose the “import entries as me option” and also specified the author as ‘brian’ which was probably redundant.
  • I specified a default category of ‘other’ in case any entries did not have a category
  • I deselected “start/end html title tags” because they weren’t necessary in this case
  • The MT power edit mode is really handy for fixing categories, changing draft/publish status, etc.